West Buncombe Elementary School is located 6 miles from downtown Asheville on Erwin Hills Road. The school serves pupils in grades Kindergarten through fourth grade. The enrollment is usually around 630 students. Average class size is 22. School hours are 7:50 am until 2:20 pm. There are approximately 50 certified and 60 classified personnel on the school staff.
West Buncombe was established in 1917 consolidating several one-room community schools. The first campus was located on Old Leicester Highway, about two miles from the current location. Until 1955 the school was both an elementary and high school serving grades 1-12. In 1976 grades 7 & 8 moved to the newly established Erwin Middle School and in 1978 the 6th grade moved to the middle school. The first day of school in the new building on the present campus was March 7, 1983. The staff and students celebrated thirty years in the present building on March 7, 2013. Changes and improvements have been made throughout the years including the addition of two computer labs in mobile units by 1995 and the opening of a new wing housing 10 classrooms and an art room in spring of 2002. In January 2012, fifth grade students moved to the Joe P. Eblen Intermediate campus.
West Buncombe is a Title One School and currently a Focus School.